[cvsnt] Bugid with commit compared to bugid in edit

news.cvsnt.org brpdrsn at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 5 00:27:12 GMT 2008

Hello,

We are in the situation that we like to test the format of the bugid before
anything will be commited. Looking at the possibilities we found 3 options:
1) put the bugid somewhere in the comment
2) use cvs edit -b <bug identification>     (-b <bug identification>...)
3) use cvs commit -B <bug identification>

We don't like option 1 but concerning the other 2 options we have some
question remarks/questions. It seems that while committing the bugid(s) wich
was/were entered during the edit command are treated differently from the
bugid entered on the command line of the commit command. The bugid's from
the edit command are registered in the ../CVS/Entries.Extra file which we
can easily test before commit (via the commitinfo file). For the bugid on
the commit command line we don't see any options on how to check this.
- is the difference concerning the bugid between commit and edit "as
designed" and if so what is the reason for this?
- what if both bugid's are entered (on edit but also on commit) for one
file?
- what is the best solution for checking the bugid before the commit
actually is performed. (There is no % variabele to use within the commitinfo
or verifymsg file)

(We are using cvsnt 2.5.04 (Zen) Build 3236 Free edition on both client and
server side)

Kind Regards,

Bart