[cvsnt] cannot create <...> for copying: No space left on device

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Tue Feb 12 18:42:53 GMT 2008

I am forever getting the following error across an array of systems:

"cvsnt [server aborted]: cannot create
</...path.../CVS/Entries.Extra.Old> for copying: No space left on
device"

1) Of course, there are no full partitions on server or client.

2) It appears to happen most often during a big (100's files) checkout or update

3) Clients are running a variety of recent versions, on both win32 and
FreeBSD (i.e. 2.5.03.2704)

4) Server is FreeBSD running 2.5.03.2704  this was auto-updated
recently, the same error was occuring on whatever the current cvsnt
version was 15 months ago also.

5) The file that blows up is always in a CVS folder, but never the
same folder from system-to-system or day-to-day, however, it would
appear if I delete the offending file, and do an update, it usually
goes thru that one fine, then tanks on another similar file a couple
directories later.

6) I have reset permissions and owners on all affected files.

7) I have moved the repository to a different disk

Thanks,
Steve