[cvsnt] Error when commiting files in CVSNT

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri Feb 22 20:06:41 GMT 2008

Chris,

> Actually, I do not think it is the sandbox. Here is why...
>
> Once the first commit fails, NO existing sandbox can commit
> that file. I suppose it is possible that 10+ developer
> sandboxes are simultaneously becoming corrupted around
> particular file, even if they do not touch that file.
> However, that seems unlikely to me.

However it is also easy to see that it is not the repository since
checking out a new sandbox and performing a commit from there 'fixes'
the problem.  This in turn will require an 'update' on the other
sandboxes which may very well 'fix' the other 10.  Given that your
sandboxes are used by Eclipse and TortoiseCVS it could be that Eclipse
is modifying something in the CVS Admin files in the 'broken' sandboxes
that the CVSNT client is not handling as well as it could/should.  With
this scenario 10 broken developer sandboxes is not too hard to imagine.

Regardless - if a 'new' sandbox 'fixes' the problem the server
repository is not 'corrupt' (if it was no sandbox new or old would
work).

If you can regularly reproduce this problem, to investigate what we are
going to need are the CVS\* files from the directory where the commit is
failing and you will need to enable 'clients are allowed to trace
server' on the server, then on the client set CVS_CLIENT_LOG=log20050622
and then run 'cvs -ttt commit -m ""' on the client and send to support
at march-hare.com the log20050622.in, log20050622.out, zip of CVS\* and
the trace.  Then do the same on a 'fresh' sandbox and send the 'working'
results.

Once you've sent the logs through - send a fresh post in this thread to
the newsgroup saying that you've sent them or else the logs will be
discarded at our end.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett