[cvsnt] Error when commiting files in CVSNT

Alexey Panchenko alex.panchenko at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 04:31:11 GMT 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 4:25 AM, Chris Cavallaro <ccavallaro at varetire.org>
wrote:

> It seems as though CVSNT is bombing somehow and putting the repository
> file
> into a corrupt state. We can then view it,, tag it and view its history,
> we
> just cannot commit it. If we can get a change to commit, it works again.
> This happens sporadically on files throughout our repository (maybe 1 file
> in 50).

If the file could not be committed - probably it remains locked. Corrupted
file is very unlikely situation.

With previous versions we had the following cases:
Sometimes server-side cvs.exe crashed and displayed the dialog "do you want
to send crash dump".
And the locks were kept by the lockserver because the process is not
terminated.
As far as I remember I had to restart the services and kill
cvs.exeprocesses on the server.

Probably that is the case for you too. When you are able to commit the file
later means that cvs.exe on the server is closed it's dialog by timeout and
terminated. To be sure you can look at the cvs.exe processes on the server
just after the crash.

Hope that helps,
Alex