[cvsnt] Keyboard input problem

Alexey Panchenko alex.panchenko at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 17:13:34 GMT 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Alexey Panchenko <alex.panchenko at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 1:28 AM, Thorsten Schiller <tschiller at ifhl.com>
> wrote:
>
> > We are using v2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2382 (client/server).
> >
> > I'd be curious if anyone else can replicate this problem.  We are
> > encountering it on four windows xp boxes.  To quote from the original
> > e-mail:
> >
> > We just recently started running CVSNT (Windows XP) with the :ssh:
> > protocol.  The problem I'm encountering is that if, for example, I try
> > to do a 'cvs commit' but then close notepad without editing the log
> > message, I can't enter anything at the "a)bort, c)ontinue, e)dit,
> > !)reuse this message unchanged for remaining dirs" prompt.  It seems
> > like all stdin is ignored and all I'm able to do is CTRL-C to kill
> > cvsnt.
> >

> I have just checked it - the same for me.
>
> Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.04 (Zen) Build 2911
> (Release Candidate 2) (client/server)
> Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.12.12 (client/server)
>
> It is related to SSH - it does not happen with SSPI.
>
> Alex

In the plink_cvsnt.c - plink_connect() function there is the code:
    inhandle = GetStdHandle(STD_INPUT_HANDLE);
    outhandle = GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);
    errhandle = GetStdHandle(STD_ERROR_HANDLE);
    GetConsoleMode(inhandle, &orig_console_mode);
    SetConsoleMode(inhandle, ENABLE_PROCESSED_INPUT);

and the comment

    /*
     * Turn off ECHO and LINE input modes. We don't care if this
     * call fails, because we know we aren't necessarily running in
     * a console.
     */

It was needed in original putty code, but CVSNT does not send stdin directly
to server, so ssh protocol implementation should not touch stdin at all.

Alex