[cvsnt] "history" command returns -1

Chuck Kirschman Chuck.Kirschman at Nosp_am.bentley.com
Thu Jan 31 13:58:20 GMT 2008

Nicolas Gavard wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a strange issue with the « history » command with cvsnt.
> If I try the simple command:
>
> cvs history
>
> It works fine but if I add the –D option then, after a while, I got an error:
>
> cvs history -D "3 days ago"
> cvs [history aborted]: reading from server: error -1
>
> and also with the –c option
>
> cvs history -c
> cvs [history aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
>
> It happens both with wincvs on a remote computer and with cvs.exe on the local server (hosting cvsnt).
> We are using CVSNT 2.5.03(scorpio) build 2382 on windows server 2003.
>
> I can't find any log on the server but in the temp dir I found an empty dir with a name starting with "cvs-env" and also an empty file (O ko)
> With a name like cvsnt.2.5.0.3.2382-servername-**********-small.dmp.
>
> I haven't found any help on the web and google wasn't my friend, it didn't give me any answer ☺ …
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> NG.

What you'll probably find is that your history file has some minor
corruption.  Older versions of cvs would ignore these lines, the latest
versions of cvsNT treat it as an error and return -1.  We run a cron job
hourly to clean up the history file.  I can give you my python script if
you like.

The solution that was recommended to me was to turn off the history file
and turn on auditing.  That requires a database, and of course the
history command no longer works.  Instead you need to do sql queries
against the database.  This approach may suit you better.  It wasn't the
right solution for us.

chuck