[cvsnt] CVSNT slow response with multiple users

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu Jan 31 21:29:35 GMT 2008

> Arthur
> runs McAfee but I'm not sure he runs it when testing or only
> on specific
> machines.

We run McAfee on all our production machines (with the repository
excluded from scan of course) - all 'stable' releases get some testing
on these machines, so I can be quite confident in saying that McAfee and
CVSNT live together quite happily.  However that said we don't have
hundreds of simultaneous commits either.

Network Associates (or whoever it is that owns McAfee these days) don't
actually recommend using their IFS drivers on Windows servers anyway -
they have a command line based scan that you are supposed to run in
batch mode overnight or whenever.  If the server only has trusted apps
running on it, and no open file shares then having a file system driver
scan is just a waste of cpu time.  If the server does have file shares
then it is sufficient to put the scanners on the clients that are
allowed to connect to those shares.

Regards,

Arthur