[cvsnt] CVSNT authentication problem...

jeff cvsquestion at resultstechnologies.net
Thu Jun 5 18:17:57 BST 2008

I've got one machine which refuses to work with CVSNT on another machine.

The server side is running CVSNT 2.5.03 build 2382 on Windows XP.

Most of the clients work well, but one PC doesn't play nice.

The logs look the same up to the following point:
Good login:
GOOD
 S -> CLibraryAccess::Load loading C:\PROGRA~1\CVSNT/protocols/pserver.dll
 S -> Checking protocol pserver
 S -> Checking key PserverProtocol
 S -> Authentication protocol returned user(jeff)
 S -> win32switchtouser(Andy)
 S -> win32getpwnam(Andy)
 S -> Authenticating server: (local)
 S -> Trying Setuid helper... (SVR\Andy)
 S -> SuidGetImpersonationToken returned 00000000
 S -> User verified - calling ImpersonateLoggedOnUser

Here's the bad log where things start to change:

BAD
 S -> CLibraryAccess::Load loading C:\PROGRA~1\CVSNT/protocols/gserver.dll
 S -> Checking protocol gserver
 S -> Checking key GserverProtocol
 S -> Unloading gserver
 S -> Loading protocol pserver as pserver.dll
 S -> CLibraryAccess::Load loading C:\PROGRA~1\CVSNT/protocols/pserver.dll
 S -> Checking protocol pserver
 S -> Checking key PserverProtocol
 S -> Authentication protocol returned user(jeff)
 S -> win32getpwnam(jeff)
 S -> Authenticating server: (local)
 S -> LogonUser() error 0000052e
 S -> Unloading pserver

I'm using the same CVS client 1.11.22 on the remote boxes, but the server
thinks something is different enough that it doesn't bother to impersonate
the windows user.

Any ideas what could be wrong on this one bad box that could cause the
server to act differently?

And if it helps, the original problem we noticed was that eclipse was not
correct able to get files from the repository on this one machine. The
result of getting some specific files or versions was "empty" files with
nothing in them. We has recently moved our repository from an offsite
location to inhouse. This problem started after the migration. This problem
appears to be specific to one remote PC. All others can connect and work
with the repository without issue. Any user who can connect on a different
PC can not connect on this one PC. Did that make sense?