[cvsnt] Trouble remotely checking out files from the CVS server

James Sugent jsugent66 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 17:55:56 GMT 2008

Hello all. I am new at this. So, please don't think that I am an ultra-airhead.

  I am trying to create a Windows batch file that automates code checkout from the remote CVS server without having to go through Eclipse. My client computer is a Windows box that runs on Windows XP Professional. The remote CVS server that I am accessing is a UNIX box.

  Eclipse is set-up with the following variables set:

     connection type=   ext
     repository path=    /home/cvsroot
     CVS_RSH=          c:\bin\plink.exe
     parameters=         -ssh {host} -l {user} -pw {password}
     CVS_SERVER=   /usr/local/bin/cvs

  I have the following Windows variables set:

     CVSROOT=   :ext:<my_user_name>:<my_password>@###.###.###.###:/home/cvsroot
     CVS_RSH=    c:\bin\plink.exe

  All accounts on the CVS server are password protected.

  From a Windows command prompt, I am able to processthe command:

         C:\> plink -ssh ###.###.###.### -l <my_user_name> -pw <my_password>

  I am automatically logged into the CVS server. When I do this in a batch file, I, of course, lose control and am unable to process a checkout command.

  When I try to process the following command from the prompt I get this returned:

         C:\01_workspace>cvs -d :ext:jsugent:imfree66 at 12.198.185.231:/home/cvsroot checkout Jim_Test
' from cvs serverning: unrecognized response `Password:
' from cvs serverning: unrecognized response `Access denied
' from cvs serverning: unrecognized response `No supported authentication methods left to try!
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

       C:\01_workspace>

  Is there anyway that I am able to do a remote checkout to my client computer from a remote CVS server?

  Any help, suggestion, comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to troubleshoot this issue for quite a while now and have gotten nowhere.

  Please help!

  Thanks,
  Jim