[cvsnt] Trouble remotely checking out files from the CVS server

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Wed Mar 19 00:05:41 GMT 2008

James,

>   I have the following Windows variables set:
>
>      CVSROOT=
> :ext:<my_user_name>:<my_password>@###.###.###.###:/home/cvsroot
>      CVS_RSH=    c:\bin\plink.exe
>

>          C:\01_workspace>cvs -d
> :ext:jsugent:imfree66 at 12.198.185.231:/home/cvsroot checkout Jim_Test

Firstly you would be better off searching the past newsgroup posts about
using eclipse and extnt.ini.  Secondly it is very dangerous to specify
passwords in CVSROOT, use ssh keys instead (just google search: ssh keys
putty).

This simple version will work, but you then need to create ssh keys to
allow for password free login:
   cvs -d :ssh:jsugent at x.x.x.x:/cvsrepo checkout Jim_Test

CVSNT has an inbuilt putty client so you do not need plink.exe and
CVS_RSH, however to use a sandbox from both Eclipse AND CVSNT then you
will need to work out how to use extnt.ini

Regards,

Arthur Barrett