[cvsnt] Possible bug in CVSNT 2.5.03.2382

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Mar 25 02:16:52 GMT 2008

Bill Leue,

> In a nutshell, CVS checkouts that use the 'pserver' protocol appear to
> 'hang' on the next-to-last file in a module and never complete.

2.5.03.2382 client is used by millions of users and Ive not seen this
reported, that leads me to suspect something environmental (eg: the
client doing anti-virus scans on the files and or the 2401 port), a
flaky network card or router could also do it.

Can you try doing the checkout from a 'clean' PC (nothing installed
except XPSP2 and firewall turned off) in the same room as the server?

> The server cvs version is 1.11.17, running on Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux.

It's possible (but unlikely) that this is a bug with interaction between
that specific CVS 1.11.x version and this specific CVSNT (would explain
why we haven't previously seen a report) - is it possible to install
CVSNT server on linux or windows - copy over the repo and then do a test
checkout from the 'new' CVSNT server and see if the problem still
occurs?

Regards,

Arthur