[cvsnt] Problem branching, then error on commit in CVSNT

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri May 2 05:23:30 BST 2008

Andrew,

> cvs add -- stock.aspx (in directory C:\working\)
> cvs server: scheduling file `stock.aspx' for addition on branch
> `RELEASE_5-01-2008'
> cvs server: use 'cvs commit' to add this file permanently
>
> > So far so good, right? but then...
>
> cvs commit -m "05/01/2008 - Restoring files from backup" --
> stock.aspx (in
> directory C:\working\)
> cvs server: could not find parsed rcsfile stock.aspx

Can you try adding it on Trunk/HEAD instead?

What $CVSROOT connection string did you use to create the sandbox?

> And yet the ",V" files are there if I look at the repository
.
.
.
> Would it be helpful
> for you to see
> the contents of one of the ",V" files?

Let's not do that yet - we'd also need .directory_history (if it exists)
and the CVSROOT directory.  You can't send all that to the newsgroup
you'd need to send it to support at march-hare.com but we're too snowed
under to look at it right now anyway, and besides I think there are one
or two things left for you to try.

> And what, exactly, does the message "could not find parsed rcsfile"
> **mean**, anyway??

Not much - it generally means that it gave up looking for that file on
that branch - it could possibly mean that it couldn't find the physical
",v" file but usually not.  This was a common problem with 2.5.03
because it gave up looking if the tag was not in the val-tags file -
hence why I thought upgrading to 2.5.04 RC would work it out for you.

Regards,

Arthur