[cvsnt] Problem branching, then error on commit in CVSNT

Andrew Cushen andrew at cushen.com
Fri May 2 17:41:53 BST 2008

Arthur-

> Can you try adding it on Trunk/HEAD instead?

I tried the WinCVS macro "Copy to HEAD version" from the branch and got this
result:

cvs server: nothing known about stock.aspx.vb
cvs server: warning: new-born stock.aspx has disappeared

So, I assume you mean, check out the trunk/HEAD, and Add the file there,
then Commit? That's what I tried next:

Here is an interesting line from the checkout:

cvs server: nothing known about stock.aspx
cvs server: nothing known about stock.aspx_1

I seem to recall getting this message when the problems first started. There
should be no such file as "stock.aspx_1"; I presume this is some kind of
backup created by CVS?

And here is what happens when I try to do the Add & Commit on the freshly
checked out HEAD (note- I am checking in the .ASPX file and also the
code-behind  file .ASPX.VB):

cvs add -- stock.aspx (in directory C:\working\)
cvs server: scheduling file `stock.aspx' for addition
cvs server: scheduling file `stock.aspx.vb' for addition
cvs server: use 'cvs commit' to add these files permanently

cvs commit -m "05/02/2008 - Restoring files from backup" -- stock.aspx
stock.aspx.vb (in directory C:\working\)
cvs server: could not find parsed rcsfile stock.aspx
cvs server: could not find parsed rcsfile stock.aspx.vb

*** At this point I tried a Status command:

cvs status -v -- stock.aspx (in directory C:\working\)
File: stock.aspx       	Status: Locally Added

   Working revision:	New file!
   Repository revision:	No revision control file
   Sticky Tag:		(none)
   Sticky Date:		(none)
   Sticky Options:	(none)
   Merge From:		(none)

*** And here I tried a Commit again with no better results:

cvs commit -m "05/02/2008 - Restoring files from backup" -- stock.aspx (in
directory C:\working\)
cvs server: could not find parsed rcsfile stock.aspx

It's possibly interesting to note that all the "missing" files are present
as ",V" files when I browse the repository...

Any other ideas I can try?

Thanks,

-Andrew Cushen