[cvsnt] CVS Checkout "-d ." Bug

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Wed May 14 03:07:19 BST 2008

Hytham,

Always be sure to send some info about EXACTLY what version of CVS/CVSNT
is on the server and the client and what OS your client and server are.
http://www.march-hare.com/cvspro/faq/faq2.asp#2z

> Until recently, we have primarily accessed the CVS repository
> from local
> servers only, all of which have an nfs mount of the
> repository that all
> users have access to. We are using file-based locking and, although a
> pserver is available, I am not aware of anyone who uses it regularly.

THIS WILL CORRUPT YOUR REPOSITORY - STOP THIS IMMEDIATELY.

I am not kidding.  Using :local: mode is for the developers of cvs/cvsnt
only and multiple users accessing a repository this way will cause
problems, but doing it via smb or nfs will corrupt your repository.
This post from Mark Baushke (one of the original developers of 'old cvs'
over 20 years ago) exlains why:

http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.cvs.help/browse_thread/thread/5436f36
7f46a11df/4739861ac4c7d995?lnk=gst&q=cvs+and+nfs#4739861ac4c7d995

> existing code modules the checkout fails to retreive certain files due
> to the way that CVS handles "co -d ." when commands are
> received using a
> remote access protocol vs. a locally mounted repository.

I vaguely remember this being asked some time in the not too distant
past.

What is it about your process that insists you much checkout to the
current directory and not another, eg:
cvs co -d temp module

> I convinced my manager to purchase the CVS Suite so that I could find
> out if CVSNT would fix the above issues, but unfortunately it
> does not.

Please contact CVS Suite support (the e-mail address to use is at the
front of the eBook).

If you put in a formal request then the feature can be considered for
the next release.  Be quick though - we are finishing off CVS Suite 2008
right now.

Note: I also don't know if it would be possible to fix without upgrading
the server, and I don't know which server and client you are using
anyway.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett