[cvsnt] 2.5.04 (3055) seems to be slower than CVSNT 2.5.03 2382

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri May 23 02:59:34 BST 2008

Sean

> While trying to fix my RCS expansion flags problem I have bounced
> between 2.5.03 and 2.5.04 and appears that 2.5.04 takes a lot longer to
> get started on checkouts and updates than 2.5.03. Is this expected due
> to more things happening on the server side, or is this due to it still
> being an unstable version?

The most common cause of slow starting is that your client is not in the DNS - on the cvsnt server control panel on the advanced tab there is an option 'do not resolve client names' - enable that and see if it works faster.

If not - then you can help us diagnose it and improve 2.5.04 by enabling 'clients are allowed to trace server' and do a trace (eg: cvs -ttt co module) and look at the timestamps and find where the time is being spent and report it back to the newsgroup.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett