[cvsnt] How to shrink big binary file?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri May 23 10:19:51 BST 2008

Bo,

> OK, I noted on the download page that there are CVSNT minimal client
> install and CVSNT minimal server install

These are the 'traditional' packages that CVSNT has always had - just
now in separate client and server.  You'll need to uninstall CVSNT
2.5.03 then install the correct package (server on server [which
includes the client], client on client).

This was done to address complaints that when people just wanted the
client they discovered services running on their PC
(cvsservice/cvslock).

> I also noted that there are two CVS Suite trial installs. What does
> the "trial" part stand for? Will it expire after a grace period or
> what?

This was covered in the RC release notes some time back.

The short answer is that it includes some components from the commercial
CVS Suite (like the GUI which you asked about in a different thread).

None of the included 'trials' have an 'expiry' component (though that
may change I guess - however those mechanisms are sooooo easy to
workaround I don't think it'd be worth the hassle to code it), but they
do have either a feature turned off or some 'please consider purchasing
CVS Suite' type of message/advertisment.

In fact I think the current installers only contain the 'eval' version
of WM (the gui) in the client - but there are plans to also include the
SCCI on the client (with an ad rotator) and the bugzilla/mantis/jira
plugin on the server (it'll put annoying comments/links in your bug
comments about 'placed here by the evaluation version of CVS Suite').

Oh the client I think also includes our modified WinCVS and TortoiseCVS
10.?.

The biggest difference between the 'trial' and the 'commercial' is the
actual CVSNT core version and the eBook.

Certainly a part of the idea of the trials is to let people evaluate the
commercial version, but that's a side issue.  Mostly the reason for it
is that I've gotten feedback that a lot of people download CVSNT looking
for 'more' - they want a windows type 'out of the box' experience and
currently they have to go to 3 of 4 different sites to get all the
pieces which is not an ideal experience.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett