[cvsnt] March-Hare message into my commit messages

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon Nov 10 15:55:29 GMT 2008

Luigi D. Sandon wrote:
> it's free and they already paid the GUI to make it work. Most managers who
> sign the bill don't understand very well why we should by a VCS and then buy
> a GUI separately.

Most peopple don't buy the GUI separately, they generally use what they
have.. eg. Visual Studio or Eclipse.  We also ship Tortoise which is a
very good GUI that beginners have no problems getting used to, and of
course Workspace Manager that handles the more advanced features.

> IMHO if CVSNT Pro offered a very good GUI which can take advantage of the
> advanced features - developed internally or licensed - the perceived value
> would increase a lot - company would have to buy one tool to get everything,
> like most commercial VCS offer. What's inside the box now, customized
> version of open-source projects, looks not enough, IMHO.

You *do* only have to buy one tool.  CVS Suite contains everything you need.

You make it sound like it's a bunch of free stuff thrown together.
Nothing could be further from the truth.  It contains extra features -
such as bug tracking and visual studio integration.  The ebook is worth
the price alone IMO.

Even the packaged apps are customised to work better with our system &
have more features that aren't in the free releases (we do contribute
changes back to the projects but some of it is too specific to cvsnt to
make it into any generic releases).