[cvsnt] Timeout when connecting to the server

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Nov 11 02:35:01 GMT 2008

Toni,

> Recently I have set up a CVSNT server with pserver
> authentication. Everything
> worked perfectly but after a server reboot the clients
> (Eclipse SDK) time out
> when trying to connect.
>
> The network connection is ok, and the CVSNT service is up. It
> works from the
> command line at the server but only when not using pserver
> authentication:
>
> C:\>cvs -d /codigo ls -l  (works)
> C:\>cvs -d :pserver:toni at localhost/codigo ls -l
>
> This last command "waits" for a long time and then it lists
> the modules, but it
> takes several minutes. Other clients like Eclipse don't wait
> for so long and
> fail with a timeout error message.
>
> Any clues?

It is almost certainly a DNS problem.

Read this thread all the way through to the end.  It contains
instructions how to diagnose DNS problems:
http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2008-October/031355.html

The actual problem will be different since in that thread the problem
also occurs with :local: mode - but the thread contains useful advice on
diagnosing CVSNT connection issues and DNS issues.

In particular if 'localhost' takes a long time then it is probably the
cvslock service/deamon that is causing the delay and we'd need to know
things like the operating system, and any settings you have changed from
the defaults, the status of the lock server (is it running?) and the
/etc/cvsnt/PServer settings or if on windows the results of cvsdiag to
know how to help you any more specifically.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett