[cvsnt] Excessive delay before every command

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Fri Nov 28 08:23:01 GMT 2008

> From: John Doucette
> Generally, everything works fine.  However, some users always
> experience
> a 30 - 60 second delay before any CVS command executes. On
> some PCs the
> delay is present after WinCVS/cvsnt are installed and then just
> magically goes away after a few weeks. On some PCs the delay is there
> forever. On my PC I have NEVER experienced this delay.  The
> delay seems
> to be in cvsnt, not the WinCVS GUI, since on affected PCs you also get
> the delay when you run cvs commands directly from a cmd.exe window.  I
> have seen some web references to trailing backslashes in PATH
> environment variables but this does not seem to be the problem.

My immediate thought is DNS.  On the affected PCs, is there any delay in resolving the server name if you ping it using *exactly* the same name as is used in your CVSROOT?

Do the delays have a unit time?  For example, are they always multiples of 15 or 30 seconds?  Knowing this can be a great help, as (for example) it can help relate the delay to the timeout of a particular network protocol.

> Q1. Has anyone experienced/solved this problem?

No, hence the guess above.

> Q2: Is it safe to upgrade cvsnt independently of the WinCVS packaged
> version?

Generally yes.  I'm sure others can comment on your specific versions.

> Q3: Is a free version of cvsnt still vailable?

Yes.  See "Download the free editions" at http://www.march-hare.com/cvspro/ .

                - Peter