[cvsnt] cvs [export aborted]

pdfeeny at aep.com pdfeeny at aep.com
Thu Oct 2 12:56:48 BST 2008

When trying to create a release using the following command:

cvs -d :sspi:<server-name>:<repository> export -r HEAD -N -d PDFTest

I get this error in TortoiseCVS

No tag specified for Export, using HEAD

In C:\caft1: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" -q -d
:sspi:<server-name>:<repository-name> export -r HEAD PDFTest
CVSROOT=:sspi:caft1:/usr/local/cvs/caf

cvs [export aborted]: cannot open <CVS/Template file> for writing: No such
file or directory

Error, CVS operation failed

This error in WinCVS

cvs -d :sspi:<server-name>:<repository-name> export -r HEAD -N -d PDFTest
-- PDFTest (in directory C:\)
cvs [export aborted]: cannot open <CVS/Template file> for writing: No such
file or directory

***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****

And this error on the command line:

cvs [export aborted]: cannot open <CVS/Template file> for writing: No such
file or directory

I've tried the command using -r HEAD and -r <tag-name>.  I've searched the

mailing list archive and the documentation and a couple of books I have on
hand and cannot
find any resolution to this error.

What am I missing? What am I doing wrong?  Can someone explain how export
is supposed to work
and how it really works?

Paul D. Feeny, MCP, MCSA
IT System Administrator II - SCM