[cvsnt] how to disable line ending translations?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Oct 23 05:34:20 BST 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:20:43 +0200, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz
<arekm at maven.pl> wrote:

>How to disable line endings translations ? It's very annoying feature
>especially when trying to commit patches into cvs repository (changed line
>endings == patch no longer applies).
What kind of files are you handling and from which client operating
system?
Line ending translation is only done on text files and the
translations follow the *client* operating system line endings for
text files. In the repository the line endings are always UNIX style
in text files.
Binary files otoh by definition do not have line endings since they
are not line based and these are stored and retrieved as-is.

>I know about -kb (but this can be used only when adding new file).
Wrong. If you have added a binary file to CVS as text by mistake it is
easy to change the flag to binary afterwards.
The file type change is possible only with CVSNT of course, plain GNU
CVS does not allow this.
But since you post here I assume you are using CVSNT of course. (Which
version and on which platform?)

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)