[cvsnt] how to disable line ending translations?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu Oct 23 08:55:37 BST 2008

Arkadiusz,

> How to disable line endings translations ? It's very annoying feature
> especially when trying to commit patches into cvs repository
> (changed line
> endings == patch no longer applies).

It sounds as though you are trying to use a unix/linux patch tool on
windows or mac.  Use a native patch tool - I think TortoiseCVS includes
one for windows, or the free Microsoft "services for Unix (SFU)" or
whatever they call it these days or the unxutils project on sourceforge:
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

If you must use a unix/linux patch tool then use CVSNT on unix/linux to
check out the file and then use unix/linux to patch the file and commit
it back.  If you are using cygwin - then that counts as a different OS
(it certainly isn't windows since it doesn't use or understand windows
line endings) and you should use cygwin cvs to checkout cygwin files.

As Bo/Luigi have pointed out - there are ways to get text files out of
CVSNT server with different line endings, but the procedure will vary
depending if the file should *always* have unix/linux line endings or if
you just need them to have the 'wrong' line endings once because you've
got a broken patch tool.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett