[cvsnt] Betr.: Re: Using -r and -D together while applying a tag

Jan Keirse jan.keirse at tvh.be
Mon Sep 15 13:22:34 BST 2008

 cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org schreef op 15/09/2008 13:58:45:

> Tony Eva wrote:
>   > I'm probably being thick here but I can't see how to get the
equivalent
> > of
> > the hypothetical command
> >
> >  cvs update -rSymbolic_Tag:Date_Specifier <file>
> >
> > Anyone?  (This is CVSNT 2.5.03 2382 on Linux, BTW.)
> >
> cvs has simply never supported that... it's a limitation of the entries
> file format - you can be on a branch/tag *or* a date, never both.

I don't understand why the entries file format is a problem here.
If last week I checked out the TEST branch of my system and didn't touch
the sandbox it would still be here today.
So why wouldn't it be possible to create that same sandbox with the same
contents and all the revisions from last week today?

> evs might at some point - there's code to do all sorts of things with
> tags that isn't being called right now, due to lack of time to implement
it.

> In practice it's rarely needed.. it's standard to tag releases so you
> can get back to a known state without having to remember the exact time
> of release.

It could be usefull if you have messed up your system and want to go back
to a week ago because you're sure it worked last week (but didn't tag
because there was no release or anything.) Although I must admit that I
have never had the need to do this myself I think that in a situation
where it is required (when someone messed up the branch) it must be
extremely frustrating not to be able to do it.

Kind Regards,

JAN KEIRSE
ICT-DEPARTMENT
Software quality & Systems: Software Engineer

**** DISCLAIMER ****
<A HREF="http://www.tvh.be/newen/pages/emaildisclaimer.html">
http://www.tvh.be/newen/pages/emaildisclaimer.html </A>

"This message is delivered to all addressees subject to the conditions
set forth in the attached disclaimer, which is an integral part of this
message."