[cvsnt] Help the CVSNT project

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Dec 8 03:23:31 GMT 2009

Due to continuing strong demand for CVSNT, low community participation and insufficient response to our numerous requests for people to volunteer to upgrade to CVS Suite we are reviewing our budget and specifically the Free Software Foundation's advice to us as to how we should fund the development:
http://www.march-hare.com/cvspro/faq/faq1.asp#9c

If you earn a wage and as a part of your wage earning activity you use any version of CVSNT (including embedded versions in WinCVS or TortoiseCVS): please alert your management to the benefits that using CVSNT has brought you and advise them to support the project by purchasing CVS Suite from £85 / €95 / $142 per person.
http://march-hare.com/cvsnt/en.asp

March Hare Software are the ONLY organisation that financially supports the CVSNT project and pays Tony's wage - other commercial 'CVSNT clients' do not financially support the project.

Since 2004 March Hare Software are the ONLY organisation that has financially supported the project and provided the development resources for CVSNT, including the releases: 2.0.51, 2.0.58, 2.5.01, 2.5.02 and 2.5.03 as well as the 2.5.04 multi-site (with advertising) and the 2.5.05 release currently in final testing - all without charging any mandatory fees.

The number of conversations I've had with people who say "I'd pay for CVSNT if there were more problems" or "I'd pay for CVSNT if I had no way to get it 'free'" are innumerable.  At a philosophical level I personally think it is a no-brainer: if you only financially support companies who produce closed proprietary solutions or buggy free solutions then stable open source solutions will disappear and companies relying on them will be left in the lurch and poorer for it.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett