[Cvsnt] windows 2000, ntserver and named pipe error 64

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Apr 12 18:20:54 BST 2002

Hmm,
the timeout problem reminds me of another similar networking problem I
have seen on W2000 (described in another posting).
I would be very interested to hear if the fix described below has any
influence on this behaviour. Could one of you who see this problem
kindly apply the fix and report back the result?

Fix description:
Open RegEdit and go to key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters
There is a DWORD item named 'autodisconnect' which has a default value
of 15 (minutes).
If you change this to say 60 and restart your machine I wonder if the
reported time until the disconnect happens is increased to 60 minutes?
Really the easiest way to test it may be to *reduce* the time in the
registry to 3 or so and then wait for 4-5 minutes before a renewed
test is done.

I have not been able to lay my hands on a machine with these kinds of
connection problems so I could test the fix, therefore I am very
interested to hear from any of you which result you get.

Of course if the parameter value is controlling the named pipe
disconnect time then it should be set to a very high value.

/Bo

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:26:38 +0000 (UTC), "Anthony Williams"
<anthwil at nortelnetworks.com> wrote:

>I am using build 57 of cvsnt on windows 2000. When I try and use cvs, it
>takes upwards of 30s to return, before saying "Couldn't connect to named
>pipe on remote machine: Error 64". However, if I try again immediately, it
>works OK. If I leave it for a while (e.g an hour or so), then I get the
>named pipe error again, once, before it works again.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Anthony
>--
>Anthony Williams
>Software Engineer, Nortel Networks Optical Components Ltd
>The opinions expressed in this message are not necessarily those of my
>employer

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)