[cvsnt] Problems with whitespaces in foldernames

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Aug 8 09:04:30 BST 2002

One of the things you should teach ALL your developers is that they
should *not* use whitespace in neither folder nor file names if they
are to be managed with CVS! CVS is basically a UNIX tool and
whitespace in a file name is not allowed in Unix AFAIK. The source
base of CVSNT is very much in sync with the Unix CVS. Tony (CVSNT
developer) has made a big job trying to accommodate the whitespace,
but the fact is that there are functions that do not work still. For
example if you automate the CVS handling using the loginfo or notifyy
scripts your efforts will break on files with spaces in their names.

So the bottom line is:
Don't ever use spaces in the files/folders under CVS control!!!!
And the same goes for installing the CVS related software, make it a
habit of removing any spaces the installers like to put in the install
paths....

/Bo

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 09:42:05 +0200 (MEST), Moritz
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?T=FCrk?= <Moritz.Tuerk at gmx.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm sorry this probably is a stupid question, but nevertheless I need a
>solution to my problem ;-) I already searched throught the mailing archive, but
>did not find anything about it. I have the problem that I want to make a new
>entry in my modules file looking like this:
>
>  AP1_src myproject/subproject/src/ap1 ap2
>
>Now the whitespace in 'ap1 ap2' is critical because of the syntax of a
>module entry. CVS interprets 'ap2' as a file. So how can I entry such a module
>path ???
>I already tried unix style 'ap1\ ap2' and quotes, too, but it did not work.
>Any hints would be appreciated.
>
>greetings
>Moritz
>
>--
>GMX - Die Kommunikationsplattform im Internet.
>http://www.gmx.net

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)