[Cvsnt] login fail

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Fri May 24 23:42:49 BST 2002

On Fri, 24 May 2002 22:45:40 +0100, wsj wrote:

> Hi, Tony
>
> Thanks for your help. Yes, I have Norton installed in my laptop. But I
> am not sure if Norton cause loging fail or not. Before I post my
> message, I did look all of old message. and some people complain that
> cvs didn't work even they uninstall Norton. I am really confuse! On
> other hand, All cvs server running out there doesn't have any antivirus
> software? It is weird and I don't want to believe it is true!

All sorts of antivirus software works, but the cvsnt server is usually a
secure server on the LAN so doesn't need such software.  The only
software I know for certain breaks stuff is Norton Antivirus - it's quite
a nasty bug they have which breaks documented behaviour of NT.

If you're interested see Microsoft Knowledge base Q150523
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q150523

The example code given is very similar to the code used by cvsnt
to communicate with its child processes.  Norton Antivirus breaks
this behaviour.

I'm not sure what's happening when people say they've uninstalled it and
still had the problem.  It's possible in some cases it wasn't fully
uninstalled (it must be completely uninstalled, not merely disabled).
There may be another piece of software with the same bug, but I've not
had any consistent reports that tell me what it could be.