[cvsnt] Consolidating emails on tagging and notify???

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Oct 29 22:46:53 GMT 2002

I wonder if someone has any good ideas on how to consolidate the many
emails that result if notify or taginfo are used to create messages on
invocation?
I have found out how to do it for commits (ideas from cvslog - Russ
Allbery, Stanford) by having the commitinfo and loginfo scripts work
together. But for tagging there is no such possibility really...
The one idea I have left is to do as follows:
- When the first taginfo call is made, make a timestamp note in a file
somewhere. This file must be connected to the actual user doing the
tagging so different users are not mixed together.
- Then add the actual message data into another file.
- Repeat for all tag calls.
- Then have a repeating task on the server that checks the data file
now and then. If the timestamp is old enough (maybe more than 15
seconds or so?) then send it off and erase the files.

But this is really not at all foolproof, if a guy tags a lot of
modules it might be hard to tell the calls apart, so a better idea
would come in handy.

Maybe each run should create a scheduled 'sendoff' AT task, which
would check the timestamp as its first operation and see if there were
tasks scheduled after itself, in which case it just dies. Thus the
last schedule is the one doing the mailsend?

Anyone with ideas anywhere?

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)