[cvsnt] ntserver vs. local

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Dec 10 06:35:26 GMT 2003

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:34:58 -0600, Chris Morris <cvsnt at clabs.org>
wrote:

>Glen Starrett wrote:
>
>> Any more specifics on _why_ you want to change to local from ntserver?
>
>A whole lot of people depend on the server and those in charge don't
>have time to upgrade it since everyone's getting along okay.
>
>Problem is WinCVS is mis-reporting almost every file as changed when
>it's really not and there seems no way around it. Next thing we wanted
>to try was to get current on the server side ... but that doesn't seem
>quick and easy.
>
>I wondered if the few of us in our group that care could just switch to
>the :local: access method, we might work around this WinCVS glitch
>without having to change anything on the server.
>
>Chris

If your problem is the red files in WinCvs then you will get *more* of
that if you go the shared file way.
And the solution is actually to update the WinCvs clients to the most
recent ones. You are probably using WinCvs 1.2, which is known for the
red files (or DST) bug. The problem is on the client, not on the
server.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)