[cvsnt] Odd corruption problem

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Jun 6 17:39:41 BST 2003

I'd start with the latest stable build of CVSNT on the server--your build is
very old, and that is likely at least part of the problem.

AV software "real time scans" lock the file once it is written or modified
typically causing errors something like "can't rename...".  I would imagine
it is possible for the same thing to happen with backups, especially ones
that are relatively slow (network to tape).  In that case I would recommend
using a interim backup method, like I described a couple weeks ago (search
the newsgroup for the subject "repos back up"--I looked it up after the last
person asked).  Once you have that set up, you let the script back up CVS
safely to the same drive, then tell your network backup to skip the CVS
repositories and just grab the script-produced archive(s).

Maybe someone wants to post a wiki document about recommended backup
procedures for CVSNT?  Is there one already?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Glen Starrett