[cvsnt] cvs commit hangs when Visual SlickEdit views a file

Oliver Koltermann okoltermann at gmx.de
Tue Mar 18 11:09:53 GMT 2003

Hello NG,

since a few months the developers in our project are complaining about
hangs when committing files. The output freezes after the last

Checking in xyz.txt;
R:/Repo/xyz.txt,v  <-- xyz.txt
done

block. The open Lockfiles pushed me to shift over to LockServer... ;-)
Since I never had such trouble myself (using emacs) I couldn't track
it down earlier, but now I think I have a clue about it.

The problem is introduced in cvsnt build 63 - possibly as a result of
the new preserve-permissions feature. It seems to be dependent on the
global -r option and the behavior of the editor (Visual SlickEdit) to
watch the file flags. I read in other postings to this group about the
problems arising from open IDE's when working with cvs, but it's
annoying to always close and open. Since we don't suffer from lost
changes or other bad things I would like to save me from telling the
developers to do so...

After all it wouldn't be that bad if cvs would exit with an error
code. Any ideas what could lead to this "unkind" behavior?

Please give me your notes.

Bye,
  OK.