[cvsnt] sspi, ssh, and sserver

Elliot Mednick elliot at mednick.name
Sun Nov 9 01:33:31 GMT 2003

I've been using Unix CVS for a long time.  I just downloaded WinCVS 1.3 and
CvsNT.  I can set up repositories ok.  I'm having some problems connecting
client/server on Windows XP Home systems over the internet (both systems
running on XP Home):

1) When using sspi (SystemAuth = No), when I do this on the command line on
an XP, logged is as "Al":

cvs -d :sspi:server_system.com:/play -t ls

I always get that user Guest isn't in CVSROOT/passwd (it isn't).  I added a
user, Al, to both the server system and to passwd.  Even when I do this:

cvs -d :sspi:Al at server_system.com:/play -t ls

I get the same message -- it's trying to log in as Guest.  Why isn't it
trying to log in as Al?  (Yes, it attempts to authenticate as Guest even if
I do a cvs login command).

These are two XP Home systems, no domains set up.  Just a Workgroup.  I
don't even know how to set up domains in XP Home.

2) So, I gave up and started using SSH.  I installed OpenSSH on my server
system.  I have no problems on the client using the command line:

cvs -d :ssh:server_system.com:/play -t ls

This uses the builtin putty client apparently.

But, when I try to do the same in WinCVS, that is, select SSH, it uses :ext:
and it can't find the built-in SSH client.  Yes, I know the drill about the
compiled perl script to find my putty that I need to install.  But why
doesn't WinCVS SSH use :ssh: and use the builtin CvsNT putty?

3) Why *NOT* use SSH?  Is sspi and sserver the preferred way?  Os is it just
that, historically, SSH was been harder to set up in Windows?  SSH is
mentioned very little in the documentation.

Thanks!!

--Elliot