[cvsnt] Re: Request for testing: Case sensitive filesystem driver

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Aug 20 03:33:58 BST 2004

Rob Green wrote:
> I dont know if your aware but windows NT/w2k/wxp/w2003 already support
> native case sensitive stuff without resorting to hooking.  on wxp you have
> to enable it http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817921.
> Being that you are in the win32 subsystem you would have to call
> NtCreateFile directly for case-sensitive operations, or just write a posix
> module that runs and does the stuff you need.

You mean POSIX_FILE_SEMANTICS?  Haha, nice laugh.  It doesn't, in any
useful way.  That code was put in for NT 3.1 to pass some government
requirement and has completely bitrotted ever since.  Hell, it doesn't
even support directories! (Don't even mention posix modules.  Unless you
want to write 'cat' they're totally useless.   Why do you think the
cygwin people haven't done it?).

The only thing that that registry entry does is un-breaks the Windows
2000/XP system so that it makes it possible to do case sensitive calls
*at all*.  I set that during the installation of the driver.  By itself
it isn't remotely useful.

The underlying NTFS system is case sensitive (or can be) and by
translating the calls where necessary it can be done relatively easily.
    There is no other way to do it really.