[cvsnt] Can't authenticate - server and client cannot agree on an authentication scheme

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Feb 4 05:10:26 GMT 2004

Bjørn Toft Madsen wrote:

>When logged in to Windows as cvsbjorn, the command:
>Cvs ls -l -R
>
>Produces
>cvs [ls aborted]: Can't authenticate - server and client cannot agree on an
>auth
>entication scheme (got '')
>
>All other valid CVS commands produces the same error.
>
>Can anyone explain this error message in n00bish?
>Does anyone have any pointers regarding how I _do_ authenticate?

There's a chance the server is getting interrupted from the session.
Are you running anti-virus?  Which version of cvsnt are you using?  You
can try running the server in test mode with "cvsservice -t" I think.

If you telnet to your server port 2401 you should get a string from the
CVS server.  Hit enter and it'll hang up on you with 'bad auth request'
or similar.