[cvsnt] CVS with LabView (binary) files

martin mj_cole_2000 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 26 21:18:09 GMT 2004

Well I use tortoisecvs, but it's a similar option and it gets set at the
time of creating the module.

I found that it's easy to set the watch, by:

1/ open a command window / command prompt (cmd.exe)
2/ set the path to point to the cvs file eg. "path c:\program
files\tortoisecvs"
3/ browse to the checked out module eg "cd c:\work\lv project"
4/ type "cvs watch on"

This will tell the server that this module and all files and folders in it
are to be treated as read only.

One last thing, everyone will need to delete their local sandboxes and check
out a fresh copy to be sure that they have the new settings.

In tortoise you would now need to right click in the module folder and chose
the option "cvs edit" to request permission from the server to edit the
files. Doing so prevents others from editing at the same time, and they will
get the message that you have the files in edit mode, and when you got the
edit mode. Obviously after you are finnished / commited you need to release
control and perform the "cvs unedit" command.

Good luck, and feel free to ask all the questions you want :)

Marts

>Sorry for asking again, but how can I setup cvs to always watch on the
files?
>I found the watch command, but I must call it for all files seperatly?
>I set the option "checkout read only" in the wincvs preferences dialog,
>is this the thing you mean?

Stephan

Martin Cole schrieb:
> I am sure that you cannot edit files directly on the server, at all.
>
> To prevent merge situations here, I recently implimented cvs watch, that
means that multipule people can checkout the files, but one must request
permision to edit them, such that only one user is editing at any one time.

news:c1ihaa$ie8$1 at sisko.local.nodomain.org...