[cvsnt] Re: vendor branch and import problem

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Feb 27 09:22:33 GMT 2004

Oliver Giesen wrote:

> Aaaaargh! I do NOT lose any history. All the revisions are there on the
> vendor branch where I want them. I wouldn't be doing it if I were losing my
> history everytime!

Of course you do...  If you been eg. 50 revisions to the file then you
import the 'new' tree, then those 50 revisions are compressed into a
single one when you reapply them - that's a loss of history (although
the history is still technically available, it's not useful as it only
refers to the old version).

>> A proper baseline would allow you to change the
>>sources your changes were based on without losing any history up to
>>that point.
>

> I still don't get what you're talking about I'm afraid...

Baseline support means that a sandbox/repository has two sources - your
working changes and a reference source (which may be another CVS
repository or just a regular set of updates from a vendor).

You can the update the baseline without changing your changes -
especially useful if the baseline is a CVS repository as you can track
seamlessly between the two sets & see all the changes/comments.

Ideally you can then push your changes back upstream including all the
history/comments...

All of this is future work though (and not particularly high priority as
there's other preparatory work to do first).