[cvsnt] script execution opens console window on server

Jeff Urlwin jurlwin at esoftmatic.com
Fri Mar 12 11:51:00 GMT 2004

> Is there any way that the script execution could be hidden by
> actions done by CVSNT itself? At least setting the execution
> window as minimized? Since the script itself calls a console
> application there is no way this can by itself minimize the
> window (because it does not even know of the window in the
> first place)....
>
> I set the flag for service interaction and this will bring up
> the problem
> of the crashdump dialogue. Not a problem in my case.
> Why? Because normally this will anyway never be seen by
> anyone since the
> server is in the server room (under lock) and does not even
> have a display
> attached to it...
> I will be connecting a remote desktop when I want to
> administer it, but noone else is allowed to do this so the
> problem for me is not that big.
>
> However, I see that there are many people hosting a cVSNT
> server on their own workstations and in these cases the
> pop-ups get rather annoying at times.

Bo,

What I have done in the past with that (perl, my own programs, etc) is have
a window start-up which either puts the window at some off screen
coordinates or, perhaps, doesn't even create a window.  If you start up with
"main", you get the console, if you start up with WinMain, you don't.

Perl, on windows, has two executables built.  Perlw.exe and Perl.exe for
just this purpose.

Is your cvsmailer available via CVS anywhere publicly?

Regards,

Jeff