[cvsnt] cvsnt set up problem in Windows xp

Murali Gunasekaran mgunase at gce2000.com
Tue Mar 16 22:36:33 GMT 2004

Hello Group,
I recently came across the CVSNT project and I think it's a terrific
contribution to the programming community!
I am trying to set it up on my box for personal use and currently, I am
facing some of the same problems mentioned earlier (below) by another cvsnt
user.

The error I am getting is:
cvs [version aborted]: Can't authenticate - server and client cannot agree
on an authentication scheme (got ''),

when I try the command:
cvs -d :sspi:anorith:/CGOF version

(where anorith is my computer name and CGOF is a repository set up using the
cvsnt gui. I am running Windows XP Pro. ).

I have switched off Norton AV (though I think there might a corporate
hardware firewall running - beyond my control :( ).
When I try cvsservice -test, this is what I get:

CVS 2.0.34 (Mar 3 2004) starting in test mode.
TEMP/TMP currently set to D:\Program Files\cvsnt\Temp
Initialising socket...ok
Impersonation is enabled
Starting auth server on port 2401/tcp...
Socket Failed (Handle=ffffffff Family=23,Socktype=1,Protocol=6): An address
incompatible with the requested protocol was used. (not fatal)
Socket Failed (Handle=00000768 Family=2,Socktype=1,Protocol=6): Only one
usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally
permitted. (not fatal)
Error: All socket binds failed.

If I run the same command after stopping the service from the cvsnt gui, one
of the services starts up correctly as follows:
CVS 2.0.34 (Mar 3 2004) starting in test mode.
TEMP/TMP currently set to D:\Program Files\cvsnt\Temp
Initialising socket...ok
Impersonation is enabled
Starting auth server on port 2401/tcp...
Socket Failed (Handle=ffffffff Family=23,Socktype=1,Protocol=6): An address
incompatible with the requested protocol was used. (not fatal)
Registering service SPN... failed (Error 8344)
CVS initialised successfully

I am very sure no other app is using the ports 2401 and 2402 . I did a
"netstat -a" to check this. (when I shutdown the cvsnt gui and do netstat,
the port doesn't get listed.. so it has be to be only cvsnt using those
ports).

any ideas why I am getting this error. I think, because of this error, I am
not able to set up the user accounts correctly and consequently use it from
other cvs gui clients like SmartCVS. :(

Your help is really appreciated.

Thank you,
Regards,
Murali

Markus Kuehni wrote:

> I'm using a personal firewall (Tiny PF v5.5). But even when I uninstalled
> it, cvsnt wouldn't connect. Other tcpip services run just fine.

What about AV?

> E:\workspace>cvs -d :sspi:localhost:/v2_prj version
> cvs [version aborted]: Can't authenticate - server and client cannot agree
> on an authentication scheme (got '')
>
> E:\workspace>cvs -d :pserver:localhost:/v2_prj login
> Logging in to :pserver:Markus at localhost:2401:/v2_prj
> CVS password: ******
> cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server localhost: -1: Unknown
error

Something was listening on port 2401, but it immediately dropped the
connection.  This
is usually the result of interference by firewalls/AV but it's possible also
that there's
another app that's grabbed the port and doesn't like the traffic.

Stopping the service and running cvsservice -test can tell you whether the
server is starting
and getting connections.

> E:\workspace>cvs -d :ssh:localhost:/v2_prj login
> Logging in to :ssh:Markus at localhost:22:/v2_prj
> CVS password: ******
> FATAL ERROR: Network error: Connection refused
> cvs login: Couldn't connect to remote server - plink error
> cvs [login aborted]: Connection to server failed

This can't be expected to work unless you're also running an SSH server.