[cvsnt] Partial tree branching - HEAD revisions not HEAD?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Fri Aug 26 16:31:25 BST 2005

Hello,

I have a problem with partial branching. The structure is like this:

dir1
  subdir1 (branched)
  subdir2 (not branched)
  file1 (not branched)

When I do an update like this on dir1:

  cvs update -P -f -r branch

I basically get what I want -- that is, I get the files I want. Which is
subdir1 (and everything else that's on the branch) from the branch, and the
rest (everything that's not on the branch) from HEAD.

But the files that came from HEAD have a sticky tag of "branch". This is
odd, because these files of course don't exist on "branch". I can't edit
and commit them as they are -- I need to get rid of the sticky tag first,
which kind of makes the -f (force HEAD) option almost useless. Is this how
it is supposed to be, or is this a problem with my rather outdated server
version?

Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.01 (Travis) Build 1976
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.34

If it is by design, what do you people do when you use this option -f? How
is it supposed to be used?

Thanks,
Gerhard