[cvsnt] Re: Alert: Binary files are corrupted when you do a cvs remove

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri May 13 18:33:33 BST 2005

On Fri, 13 May 2005 13:43:17 +0100, Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>
wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> I can confirm this behaviour:
>>
>> 1) I am running 2.5.01.1949 as both server and client
>> 2) I copied in a binary file to an existing sandbox
>> 3) I added it binary and committed, got revision 1.1
>> 4) Then I cvs removed the file and committed
>> 5) Then in another empty folder I checked out revision 1.1
>>    The metadata still say it's a binary file.
>
>I've just done exactly this and it worked correctly.
>
>Is there something else you're doing that could be affecting it?

I have found that it depends on the contents of file itself.
I have now tested with a few small files from the cvsnt distribution:
co.exe and cvsagent.exe. Doing the same with these files results in a
checkout where the co.exe has lost 1 byte in length and cvsagent.exe
has lost 2 bytes. cvsagent no longer displays the icon in Windows
explorer.

I then repeated the excercise using co.exe as test file, but now I
first had a go at the file with a hex editor and changed a few bytes
here and there to 0d0a and 0a0d. I renamed it to co2.exe.

then:
 cvs added binary and committed
 cvs remove
 cvs co -r 1.1

And the file is shortened by the expected amount because all 0D that I
had added are now gone...

dir befoer and after shows what happened:

As you can see it lost 6 bytes...

Using 2.5.01.1949 both client and server (they are the same since my
server and my test PC are one and the same and there is only one
single cvs.exe on the machine).

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)