[cvsnt] Re: Why is $CVSROOT sending physical path to scripts????

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Sep 3 07:43:59 BST 2005

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:56:12 +0100, Tony Hoyle
<tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> I have a user of CVSMailer complaining about not getting emails and
>> after studying his logfiles and the registry of his server I have
>> found that for some reason CVSNT is sending the *physical* path to the
>> repository as $CVSROOT when loginfo executes instead of the
>> RepositoryName as it is supposed to do. Why is this so?
>> It surely makes CVSMailer confused and unable to get the physical path
>> from the registry...
>
>It isn't... Check the settings on the client/server.
>
>(There's an argument that $CVSROOT *should* be the physical path, but it
>isn't at the moment).
It seems to vary a lot, depending possibly of settings on the client
side. For example what happens if a

>eg. in precommand:
>
>ALL cmd.exe /c echo CVSROOT=$CVSROOT REAL_CVSROOT=$REAL_CVSROOT
>VIRTUAL_CVSROOT=$VIRTUAL_CVSROOT
>
>prints:
>
>CVSROOT=/repo REAL_CVSROOT=d:/repo VIRTUAL_CVSROOT=/repo /repo ls

And how would one be able to know this???
In the cvs.chm help file where "All environment variables which
affects CVS" is a separate chapter there is no trace of these
variables....
And a search in the helpfile for $REAL_CVSROOT does not show it
either. I even searched the source for the helpfile (cvs.dbk) for it
without success.
Are there more such "secret" variables that could be used?

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)