[cvsnt] Templates in RCSInfo

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Dec 19 06:50:29 GMT 2006

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:39:54 -0500, "Bryan Leber"
<btl at fischerinternational.com> wrote:

>The tag field would be similar in our case. We create a Tag of code that
>comes out at certain deadlines, then we also create Branches. Then our
>developers checkout the Branches(same as the Tags) and if there are
>fixes that need to be made to the Branch, they then check it back into
>that Branch and on the commit the template we have comes up. Is there a
>way to grab what Branch it is in and prefill the PATCH_BRANCH?
>

>PATCH_BRANCH:
>
>BUG_NUMBER:
>
>FEATURE_AFFECTED:
>
>OVERVIEW:

AFAIK the template is *global* for the whole respository. It is
definitely not connected to any tag for any particular file.
How could it be?
When you check out a module from a repository with the templating
enabled you will get a local copy of that file into your CVS
subdirectory. This file covers *all* files in the parent directory and
since each file in a directory can be on a completely different branch
and have different tags as well, it is impossible to have what you are
looking for...
What do you propose would happen if the files to commit are all on
different branches?

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)