[cvsnt] linux cvs client (cvsnt vs. gnu cvs)

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Wed Dec 20 19:11:09 GMT 2006

Hi Mark,

First off, a quick note:  CVSNT is a drop-in replacement for the CVS
that is loaded by default on your Linux box.  You don't need to migrate
them to another server to take advantage of CVSNT server's features.

Mark Johnson wrote:
> The gnu cvs client will work against the cvsnt server with certain
> limitiations, how well will the cvsnt client work against a gnu cvs server?

Very well.  Use the 2.5.04 version.

> I have only installed the full cvs (client and server) on Linux, can the
> client be installed without the server?

No, but you can upgrade the server and your 'old' CVS clients can still
access it.  There may be some compatibility setting changes, depending
on what clients you're using.  There may also be some script changes
required if you're using server side scripting.

> Basically, all my questions are getting at this; Is it possible to use both
> cvs clients (gnu and cvsnt) on the same box, and if not, which is the
> better
> to use when both servers (gnu and cvsnt) will be accesses.  (again, all
> clients are on Linux)

CVSNT is better, as long as you're moving forward with a plan.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett