[cvsnt] Re: Branch merging - this seems wrong...

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed Jun 7 17:05:40 BST 2006

Michael Wojcik wrote:

> In other words, it wasn't the introduction of branch/merge capability
> that changed the paradigm from locking and exclusive updates to lockless
> concurrent ones.  That capability already existed; what changed was that
> people realized that merging was sufficiently robust and conflicts (and
> hence manual intervention) sufficiently rare to make concurrent updates
> feasible.

I agree with you on that.. historically it took time for people to trust
that merging actually worked.

There are still plenty of places that don't have that trust in the tool
or their developers... hence the exclusive locks/edits in cvsnt (that I
never use - I'm very pro cooperation & concurrent working).