[cvsnt] --lf obsolete?

Yongwei Wu wuyongwei at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 03:47:47 BST 2006

On 9/4/06, Glen Starrett <glen.starrett at march-hare.com> wrote:
> Yongwei Wu wrote:
> > Yes, as *the* author you must have a vision how CVSNT should evolve.
> > However, I do not think it right to restrict how your users use your
> > product, esp. if the issue is not something that can interfere with
> > the future development of your product.
>
> You've stated your case clearly, and gotten an answer.  It wasn't the
> answer you wanted but you still have plenty of choices:
>
> -- Use some other product that contains an equivalent function.  For
> example, does the NONGNU CVS port to Win32 support --lf?  I can't tell
> because it *isn't documented*.
>
> -- Patch it yourself!  Right now it's just a warning, it shouldn't be
> difficult to locate and eliminate the print statement that outputs it
> and recompile.  If you lack the skill yourself, maybe you can find other
> users who want the --lf option and convince them to help.
>
> -- Develop your code under cygwin with the cygwin CVS.
>
> -- Develop your code under a real linux/unix system with CVSNT or
> whatever version you like.
>
> -- Purchase CVS Professional and pay to have that feature modified with
> a switch to suppress the warning and maintained.

Whatever the conclusion of this annoying argument is, I want to thank
you for taking the time to spell out the different options. Although,
in the current case, the simplest thing for me may be to use whatever
you give, and write my own scripts to do what I want (e.g., a cvslfco,
a cvslfup, a cvslfci, etc.). Or stick to an old version if it has no
significant bugs.

I believe I began the argumentation because I believed removing `--lf'
simply was not `right'. It seems CVSNT developers have different
design philosophies from me. I am deeply affected by the UNIX
philosophy, which demands tools to be flexible, but not restrictive;
which generally makes tools have a huge number of options, including
the ones one can use to shoot oneself....

You are free to disagree with me, but be warned that most open source
developers like the UNIX philosophy. (I am a little wondering how
those philosophies can affect a user's choice of CVSNT vs SVN now.)

Best regards,

Yongwei
--
Wu Yongwei