[cvsnt] Combining a tag which contains all files with a tag which only contains a subset

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Wed Aug 29 22:29:38 BST 2007

Hi Jonathan,

This is a topic we covered with the onsite training last year.  Please re-read the eBook section on promotion models - what you have described is exactly what promotion models solves.

A quick overview of promotion models follows that all may be interested in.  Our eBook is the primary reference for this (which is not open source, but can be purchased from the web site as a part of CVS Suite).

Instead of "tagging" the files with rel_c1234567 you have a branch called "promote_release" which has an ACL on it to only allow your QA staff to make changes, also all the files on this "branch" (promotion level) are "-ko".

Now the QA staff "promote" the work on the trunk to "promote_release" (cvs up -j HEAD .) and then commit it and tag it with "RC1" (or whatever) and alias the tag rel_c1234567 to RC1 (cvs tag -A -r RC1 rel_c1234567 .).

A bug fix is done on the trunk and committed with a bug id.  Note: the cvs suite server you put into production allows you to automatically translate a message such as "bug 123" to a "real" bug id that is stored in the RCS file, check /etc/cvsnt/PServer.example for instructions.

 Let's say the bug fix was 123.

Now the QA staff "promote" the bug 123 on the trunk to "promote_release" (cvs up -j HEAD -B 123 .), and then commit it with "cvs ci -B 123" and tag it with "RC2" (or whatever) and alias the tag rel_c1234567 to RC2 (cvs tag -F -A -r RC2 rel_c1234567 .).

Of course it is typcial to have more promotion levels that just "release", eg: build, review, function test, integration test, release/acceptance test.

Please contact support for questions specifically about the eBook documentation.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett