[cvsnt] Equivalent of VSS Shared Files?

Andreas Tscharner andreas.tscharner at metromec.ch
Thu Feb 14 16:07:54 GMT 2008

Chuck Kirschman wrote:
> Has anyone come up with a good answer to Shared Files from VSS?  Here's
> what my user is asking:
>
> -----
> We have some global code that is common to multiple exes/dlls. E.g.
> security.bas which is used by all the VB exes. There is effectively a
> single copy of this file in VSS which is shared among multiple
> 'projects'. So if you browse the source repository you see this file
> repeated 10's of times, but in reality there is a single copy with links
> to the multiple projects. If the file is changed in one project, it is
> changed in all. These global files are effectively 'locked' (checked out
> in VSS parlance) by the VSS Administrator at all times, and when a
> changed is required the files are unlocked until the change has been
> carried out and then relocked.
> -----
>
> So VSS supports some sort of internal symbolic link.  I'm not a huge fan
> of the concept, but I'm a C developer and I don't know much VB, so I
> don't know what the requirements are over there.  Does anyone have any
> ideas?

Have a look at the so-called "ampersand modules". Basically you create
one module, where all your common files are located. Afterwards, you
can, by editing the "modules" file in CVSROOT, include that module 	into
all your other modules (it looks and behaves like a subdirectory). These
files are only once in the repository, and changing them in one place,
change them everywhere else.
For locking see the CVSNT access control lists or the reserved checkout

In the CVSNT Manual (.chm), look for
Appendix B. Reference for Administrative files -> The modules file
Chapter 3. Security -> 	Setting permission for files and directories
Chapter 11. Multiple developers -> Choosing between reserved and
unreserved checkouts

Best regards
	Andreas
Andreas Tscharner                          andreas.tscharner at metromec.ch