[cvsnt] cvs(nt) under both Linux and Windows

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue Mar 11 00:56:56 GMT 2008

Arthur Barrett wrote:

>> I still think that would be nice if the CVS administrative files (those
>> under CVS/) could be understood by both systems.
>
> They are *usually* - the only reason why they may not here is because of
> a bug or because you are using a non-CVSNT server (or I guess both, or
> my memory could be going on me...).  The administrative files are
> usually LF EOL (like unix).

FWIW, on my system (Windows, CVSNT server and client, both latest stable),
the meta files in CVS directories have 0d0a line endings.

>> There could be some indication stored under CVS/ indicating wether the
>> sandbox was first created by linux or windows, the type of encoding and
>> the EOL. Using cvsnt on one OS would just require to decode the CVS
>> files using the appropriate encoding/EOL.
>
> You can already achieve quite a similar result to this - but again you
> will need to switch to CVSNT server.  Mark the files as having a
> specific line ending, ie: cvs up -kl filename (errrm check syntax  ...)
> and then commit -f to save it, now on windows or linux the tex files
> will always be checked out with line-feeds and either client (windows or
> mac or linux) can commit it properly.

I think Stéphane was talking about the meta files in the CVS directories.
It seems they have different line endings on *x and Win systems, and it
seems that his experience is that these meta files don't get read properly
by CVSNT when the line ending is not correct.

Stéphane's suggestion about marking whether the meta files are this or that
format isn't even necessary -- the only thing required would be to accept
all possible forms of line endings.

Gerhard