[cvsnt] FATAL ERROR - no such user

Wallace Edwards waedwards at caci.com
Mon May 3 15:56:52 BST 2010

Have you ever seen an error like this?

Fatal error, aborting.
cvs [update aborted]: cvs
: no such user

I thought at first that it was telling me there was a stray colon in the password file but I can't find one...

I was updating the password file in CVSROOT when it started and now the error occurs anytime anyone tries to do anything (literally, anything - login, update, edit, etc.). I've gone back in through the server side and backed out the change to CVSROOT/passwd, but no luck.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated - we're dead in the water until I can resolve this.

Thanks
Wally Edwards